Mahatma Gandhi University Common Admission Test (MGU CAT) is an entrance examination for aspirants seeking admission in the university’s post-graduation programmes such as M.Sc, M.A, Master of Tourism, Travel Management, LLM, M.Ed, etc. MGU CAT is conducted annually by MGU. Mahatma Gandhi University is authorised by the University Grants Commission(UGC) and National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has given the university a “B” grade. Applicants for the MBA program are selected on the basis of their scores on the CMAT/CAT/KMAT exams. The article discusses in-depth the eligibility criteria, the important dates, and the application process for MGU CAT 2024.
Important dates to remember
The initial notifications are released from July 2024, with the registrations opening by May. The exam is to be completed by December 2024, and the result declaration will be completed by January 2023. The results will be evaluated using ranking systems, and there will be a cut-off mark to select eligible students.
|Notification release||March 2024|
|Application form arrives||March 2024|
|Last day for submission||April 2024|
|Last date for fee submission||April 2024|
|Admit card release||May 2024|
|CAT exam 2024||May 2024|
|Personal Interview/Group Discussion/Written Test||June 2024|
Eligibility criteria for MGU CAT 2024
The eligibility criteria for appearing for MGU CAT is to be met for availing admissions in MGU. The criteria are listed below:
- For admission to MSc programmes including Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Biophysics/Microbiology courses, the applicant must hold B.Sc degree in the appropriate subject with at least 50% marks in aggregate in the final year.
- For admission in MSc Chemistry, the applicant must hold a B.SC degree in Chemistry with Mathematics and Physics as subsidiaries with at least 50% marks in aggregate in the final year.
- For admission in MSc Computer Science, the applicant must hold a B.Sc degree in CS/CA/BSc IT/BCA with at least 50% marks in aggregate in the final year.
- For admission in MSc Environment Science & Management, the applicant must hold a BSc degree in relevant subjects or BTech in Civil/Mechanical/Chemical with at least 50% marks in aggregate in the final year.
- For admission in MA programmes including Politics & International Relations/Politics & Human Rights/Public Policy & Governance), the applicant should hold a degree with 50% marks in aggregate in the final year or should hold a BSc degree with at least 60% marks in aggregate in the final year.
- For admission in MA Economics, the applicant should hold a BA/BSc degree in Economics/Mathematics/Statistics with at least 45% marks in aggregate.
- For admission in MA Malayalam program, the applicant should hold a BA Malayalam degree with at least 45% marks in aggregate or should hold a degree in Arts/Science with at least 50% marks.
- For admission in the MA English program, the applicant should hold a BA English degree with at least 45% marks in aggregate or should hold a degree in Arts/Science with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- For admission in MA Gandhian Studies/Development Studies, the applicant must hold a degree with at least 45% marks in aggregate.
- For admission in MA History and Anthropology, the applicant must hold a degree in Social Sciences with at least 45% marks in aggregate.
- For Masters in Tourism and Travel Management, the applicant must hold a degree with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- For admission in MEd programs including subjects like English, Hindi, Malayalam, Sanskrit, Arabic, Mathematics, Science, Social Science, Commerce, Computer Education, the candidate should hold a B.Ed in the appropriate subject with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- For admission in the LLM programme, the candidate should hold an LLB or any equivalent with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- To apply for Master of Tourism and Travel Management, the candidate must have acquired the degree of graduation with a minimum 50% aggregate.
The application for MGU CAT 2024 can be done online. Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria can proceed to apply for the exam. Candidates can apply for the exam via the official website.
Follow us at Telegram
How to apply for MGU CAT online
- Candidates can visit the official website.
- New users can click on the register now button to begin registration.
- Candidates have to fill in their personal, educational and communication details in the provided places.
- Candidates are required to select the exams they will be appearing in.
- Candidates can log in to your portal using the ID and password to complete the registration.
- The candidate can submit the final form after submission and move to payment procedures.
The application fee can be paid online. There are facilities for net banking, debit/credit cards, etc. The application fee is Rs. 1000/-, and Rs. 500/- for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories.
The MGU CAT 2024 exam is held offline. The exam will contain both objective and descriptive type questions. The total duration of the exam is 90 minutes. There will be a total of 80 questions, and the maximum number of marks that can be scored is 200. There will be no negative marking for incorrect answers.
Syllabus for MGU CAT 2024
A detailed breakdown of each section of MGU CAT 2024 is given below:
- MSc Chemistry: Syllabus of BSc Chemistry
- MSc Physics: Syllabus of BSc Physics and Mathematics:
- MSc Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Microbiology/ Biophysics: Syllabus will appear from subjects such as Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry and Physics at BSc level.
- MSc Environment Science and Management: Syllabus will be based from Basic Sciences at degree level, General Aptitude and General Awareness on Environmental Sciences
- MSc Environment Science and Disaster Management: Syllabus is based on subjects of basic sciences at degree level, General Aptitude and General Awareness on Environmental Sciences
- MSc Disability Studies and Rehabilitation Sciences: Syllabus will consist of questions in an interdisciplinary manner based on the syllabus of the qualifying exam
- For MSc Psychology, entrance test questions will appear in an interdisciplinary manner based on the syllabus of the qualifying examination
- To apply for MSc Computer Science, Questions from Computer Science, Logical Reasoning and Numeral Ability will appear.
The admit card is released on their official website. The candidates can check their status by logging in to the website once in a while. Once the admit card is published on the website, candidates can download and take a printout of the same. Admit cards are mandatory for appearing in the examination.
Follow the steps to download the admit card.
- Visit the official website.
- Login with your id and password
- Once released, the admit card will be available for download
- Take a printout and keep it safe for further use.
The result of the MGU CAT exam will be published in June 2024. Candidates who have qualified for the exams are eligible to appear for the counselling process. There will be a document verification process and candidates are requested to bring the below-mentioned documents.
- TC (Transfer Certificate)
- Birth Certificate
- Mark list of the qualified degree examination
- Migration certificate
- Caste certificate
- Income certificate
The candidates can choose their exam centre while applying for the exam. The list of the available exam centres is given below: