Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur is an autonomous institution under the government of India and is one of the most sought after colleges in the country. IIT Kharagpur PhD admission is offered in all major branches of the institution such as Engineering, Technology, Humanities & Social Sciences, Architecture, Law and Management, etc. There are facilities for interdisciplinary research such as bioengineering, nanotechnology, medical and computational sciences. The article contains in-depth information about the important dates, eligibility criteria, and the application process for PhD admission to IIT Kharagpur.
Research Areas available in IIT Kharagpur
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Architecture and Regional Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- Geology and Geophysics
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Centre of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence
- Centre for Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Science
- Centre for Computational and Data Sciences (CCDS)
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems
- Rekhi Centre of Excellence for the Science of Happiness
- Deysarkar Centre of Excellence in Petroleum Engineering
- Materials Science
- Rubber Technology
- Rural Development
- PK Sinha Centre For Bioenergy and Renewables
- Energy Science and Engineering
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- G.S. Sanyal School of Telecommunication
- Nano Science and Technology
- Rajendra Mishra School of Engineering Entrepreneurship
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Ranbir and Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management
- School of Medical Science and Technology
- School of Water Resources
- Subir Chowdhury School of Quality and Reliability
- Vinod Gupta School of Management
- Candidates wishing to apply for the programme must successfully complete their qualifying examination in the field of Science/Commerce/Management/Engineering/Law with at least 60% marks or CGPA.
- Candidates wishing to apply for the programme must successfully complete their qualifying examination in the field of Humanities/Social Science/MBBS with at least 60% marks or CGPA.
- Candidates who hold a BTech Degree or Dual Degree from IITs and having a final CGPA of 8.00 or higher out of 10 will be directly selected and given admission to the PhD programme with institute Research Assistantship.
- The minimum qualifying degree for applying for the PhD programme is as follows:
- M.Tech (Master of Technology) / MS / ME (Master of Engineering)/ M.Sc(Engg.)
- M. Arch/ MCP /MRP
- M. Phil (2-year programme)
- MBA / PG Diploma in Management lasting for a minimum of 2 years after Bachelor’s degree programme
- LLM (2-year program) after EITHER at least 5 years of integrated LLB degree after 10+2
- examination OR 3 years LLB degree after 10+2+3 examination
- Any equivalent degree to the ones mentioned above.
- For applying for admission under the Regular with Institute Assistantship category, the candidates should hold a valid GATE score above the cut-off score, or NET qualification with Assistant professorship for the award of Institute Research Assistantship.
- For Individual Fellowship, candidates must hold a valid award letter with fellowship issued by the funding agency.
- Candidates can also apply for the programme based on their project if it is sponsored under the PhD program under project category.
Candidates are requested to visit the official website of IIT Kharagpur, www.iitkgp.ac.in, and once the admission procedures start, they can apply for the PhD programme. Be careful while filling the form, because there will be no provisions of any kind to change the details in the form after submission.
The admission of the candidate is based on the selection of the Departmental Academic Committee (DAC) on the basis of the overall academic performance of the candidate in the qualifying degree, and also a written/computer-based test and/or a personal interview.
Documents to be submitted
Follow us at Telegram
- Class 10th (High School) board certificate/or any proof of birth
- Mark sheet and certificate of the qualifying examination proving the fulfilment of all minimum requirements
- Copy of Category Certificate (OBC-NCL/SC/ST) and/or EWS certificate(if needed) to avail reservations provided for the category
- A Person with Disabilities certificate (PwD certificate)
- Copy of Passport (applicable for foreign nationals) or OCI certificate or PIO cardholder(if required)
- Copy of DS Certificate(if needed)
- Duly completed undertaking form
- The candidate is required to visit the official website of IIT-Kharagpur
- Click on the desired programme the candidate wishes to pursue.
- There will be an option to “apply online”. Clicking on that will redirect you to the application portal.
- Register as a new user and fill in all the necessary personal, academic, communication details required.
- The candidate can review the details and click for submission.
- The fee payment can be done online using facilities like net banking, or debit/credit cards.
- Candidates belonging to the Unreserved categories and OBC/EWS/Transgender categories have to pay Rs. 1000/- as the application fee.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories and women candidates have to pay Rs. 500/- as the application fee.
Selection Process for IIT Kharagpur PhD Admission 2023
The institute will conduct a test (written/computer-based) as a part of the selection process. The candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the academic performance of their qualifying degree and this will be the determining criteria for shortlisting candidates for the test. The candidates who clear the test are called back for an interview. The selected candidates will be admitted to the programme after submission and the subsequent verification of the documents.
Shortlisted candidates are invited to attend the written/computer-based test. The admit card for the test will be available on the official website days before the exam. The admit card is pivotal and should be kept safe till the end of admission procedures. The admit card is mandatory for attending the exams.
The interview is conducted as a final step in shortlisting eligible candidates. The candidates are tested on his/her knowledge of the subject/area they wish to proceed with. The panel conducting the interview will consist of faculties from various departments relevant to the subject.
The final result and the list of the selected candidates will be published on the official website of IIT Kharagpur as a merit list. There will also be a waiting list of candidates next in consideration, provided any seats are vacant.